Skip to main content


Have questions about the Cross-Continental MPH program? Find your answers here!

How is this program different from the “regular” MPH in NYC?

While the MPH core curriculum is the same as the NYU/NYC-based program, Cross-Continental offers a global immersion into three different global health environments and systems, allowing you to gain global experience while you earn your MPH.

Do I get to choose my classes? Are they online, in-person, or mixed?

As part of the Cross-Continental MPH program, you will follow a curriculum that will provide you the with core competencies and concentration skill sets, but also allow you to choose from a list of electives with varying topics such as HIV/AIDS, Migration and Health, or Non-communicable Diseases. Learn more about the Cross-Continental MPH courses.

Will there be opportunities for research or an internship/practicum requirement?

At GPH, we believe the integration of research, practice and training is critical to excellence in public health. You will have the opportunity to be involved in research for your culminating experiences, such as a thesis for epidemiology or an evaluation of a global health program, for example. All MPH programs also require a practice experience component. During the program, you will engage in 180 hours of field experience, with the majority of practice settings during your second term.

Do I need to study a foreign language or have any foreign language proficiency?

There is NO requirement of language proficiency for the current Cross-Continental sequence of Washington, D.C./Accra/Abu Dhabi or Florence.

Is the program accredited?

The Cross-Continental MPH program is fully accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health.

How much does the Cross-Continental MPH cost? Is financial aid available?

To learn more about how much the Cross-Continental MPH costs and what financial aid is available, please visit GPH’s Financial Aid page or the Housing and Tuition page.

What if I cancel my participation midway through? Will I be refunded?

Dropping classes or withdrawing from the program after a certain date each term will result in the full tuition cost for that term being forfeited with no opportunity for refund, as per the policy of the NYU Office of the Bursar. Please visit the website of the Office of the Bursar for more information on refund schedules for each term.

How is travel coordinated?

Travel for semesters abroad will be coordinated by the Assistant Director, Global Coordination at GPH. Round-trip flights are arranged for the fall and spring semesters from New York City or Washington, DC. However, students will be a provided flight back to New York to participate in Commencement in May. Travel back to your home city will be your responsibility after commencement.

If you intend to travel on your own for non-school related adventures, you would book that yourself. But, you would need to be sure that any individual travel is listed in NYU Traveler, a site which was created to provide the NYU community with tools and services for their travel needs and to help keep them safer.

What are the accommodations?

Students will have a choice of either staying in NYU providing housing during the summer at NYU DC and in the spring at NYU Florence, or opt to find their own accommodations. Due to University protocol, students are required to stay in NYU accommodations at NYU Accra and NYU Abu Dhabi. Please look at the Tuition and Housing section for more information.

Students are billed directly by the site and the bursar.

Will I have a roommate? If so, can I select my own?

In most cases, you will be assigned a roommate through NYU’s automated system, or you may choose one on your own. A survey will be sent prior to assignments so you can provide your study habits, sleeping routine, etc, to be assigned a roommate with similar interests. All efforts are made to provide single rooms when available.

Do I need to obtain visas for each country? Will NYU assist with that?

Yes – everyone requires a visa no matter where you are from. GPH Global Coordination and NYU’s Office of Global Services will work to assist you, but ultimately, you will be responsible for obtaining your visas.

What are immunization requirements?

Please visit the Center for Disease Control’s Travel Health website for the most up-to-date, country-specific immunization information.

Please also note that some immunizations (i.e. Yellow Fever) can be challenging to find, so please try to get your immunizations before leaving home. Be sure to bring documentation from your doctor demonstrating that you did receive the immunizations. If you do not receive your immunizations prior to arriving, NYU Student Health Center can advise on local clinics.

Will I have insurance while I travel?

You will be enrolled in an international health insurance plan for the semesters you are abroad. For the summer while you are in the U.S., you will be automatically enrolled in the student health insurance plan, unless you choose to opt out. You must also be enrolled in domestic health insurance while studying abroad in case you need to leave the program and return to the U.S. or your home country.

What student services are available?

While each site is different, student life remains a vital aspect of each campus, and you’ll be studying at established NYU sites that are fully supported by the structure of the University. You will experience orientations at each site, as well as find similar student services to those you would find at a traditional American university, including internet and multi-media access, as well as state-of-the-art library availability.

What kinds of social/fun activities will be available at different sites?

That depends greatly upon you! While the university will sponsor planned field trips and cultural immersion events, we also look to you to initiate fun activities with your cohort. We invite you to explore safely and enjoy your surroundings. Our on-site staff are prepared to recommend restaurant options, day trips, community celebrations or weekend excursion options.

Can people visit me while abroad?

Absolutely! Please note in advance that each site has its own respective rules regarding guests in the dorms. If you have visitors expected, we recommend that they find their own accommodations. NYU Traveler may be able to offer negotiated rates.

What if I need to go home for some reason?

If you need to plan personal travel, your student affairs team will work closely with you to meet your needs. We are seasoned in working with students who reside all over the world and prepared to support you as you progress through our program.

I have a disability. Can the sites accommodate that?

Yes. NYU’s Moses Center will work with you and your faculty to be sure you receive the accommodations you need.

What if I require medical or dental services while abroad?

You will be enrolled in a health insurance plan while you are in the program that covers injury. illness and emergencies. All insurance plans should be reviewed carefully. The Student Health Center is able to provide support and clarity on the coverage. The university has long-standing relationships with healthcare providers at all of our sites.

What measures are in place to ensure our security and safety?

Our students’ safety is of primary concern to New York University and is monitored continually. Rest assured that the university has taken all precautions for student safety, both in New York and at our abroad sites. Please visit NYU’s Public Safety website, and note that we advise our students to do your due diligence if you plan any personal travel, always being mindful of your surroundings and belongings.

If you have further questions, please contact our Sr. Associate Dean of Student and Alumni Affairs, Dr. Julie Avina, at

What if there is an emergency while abroad?

We have NYU support staff on the ground at all of our sites, trained in cases of emergency. We also have a highly trained team based in New York that is well versed in emergency situations at our abroad sites. We will take you through a safety training when you arrive in New York so you and your families are aware of and comfortable with our protocols.

Can I travel on my own to other locations?

You may, when class is not in session. We strongly encourage you to register your plans with NYU Traveler and to inform CCMPH program staff of your trip(s) prior to departure.

Need More Information?

Academics and General Program-Related Inquiries

Dr. Bernadette Boden-Albala, Associate Dean of Research and Program Development

Email: / Phone: 212-992-8060

Tuition and Financial Aid

Zachary Maggio, Assistant Dean, Admissions and Enrollment

Email: / Phone: 212-998-2175

Student Affairs

Dr. Julie Avina, Associate Dean of Student and Alumni Affairs

Email: / Phone: 212- 992-9940

Are you ready to embrace the challenge of global public health and put your trailblazing solutions to work around the world? Apply to the Cross-Continental MPH today!

Apply Now