NYU’s School of Global Public Health offers thirteen diverse and innovative undergraduate degrees in the field, partnering courses in broad global public health issues with a related course of study housed in one of NYU's prestigious schools, including the College of Nursing, Silver School of Social Work, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education and Human Development, Liberal Studies, and the College of Arts and Science.
By enrolling in one of these majors, you will become a member of the GPH family, able to draw upon instructors, advisors, and courses from across NYU’s elite network of schools and departments. This unique structure responds to the ever-increasing demand for interdisciplinary public health practitioners both in the US and abroad.
Why Global Health?
Choosing from different disciplines to find what interests you most, you will gain fluency in the key approaches and current issues in the field of public health, both in the United States and throughout the world. Your coursework will explore the global nature of the field, emphasizing the ways in which populations and environments interact across the globe to shape health outcomes.
You’ll delve into a variety of disciplinary and theoretical frameworks to understand how biological, environmental, political, social, and economic factors interact to influence the health of populations across the globe. Through classes, lectures, student activities, and participation in collaborative activities and research with major public health organizations, global public health majors are exposed to the breadth of the field.
The NYU GPH Advantage
- An interdisciplinary education with coursework across the University and around the world at NYU’s global sites
- Access to world-renowned faculty across NYU schools
- Opportunities to network with practitioners, leaders, and scholars in government, not-for-profit, and private institutions around the globe
- Extensive opportunities for applied fieldwork in the US and in countries around the world, including a required semester abroad at one of NYU’s many global sites
- Multidisciplinary and in-depth advising on course selection, major selection, fieldwork, professional development and career planning. Students take advantage of dedicated public health advising through the GPH.
- Access to resources across the University, including a wide variety of student and academic services offered through the GPH. Students benefit from events and conferences, global health news and announcements, student research opportunities, student organizations and governance, career services, and student and alumni networking.
- Students who are part of the School of Global of Public Health participate in a broader public health community at NYU, studying and working alongside other undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty, practitioners, and alumni engaged in public health activities.