All GPH majors--regardless of school--are required to complete the 6 core courses listed below. In addition, students are required to take combined major electives, a foreign language, and engage in a semester long study away experience at one of NYU's global sites. Students should review the majors page for the specific list of requirements for their major as requirements vary by school and major.
PLEASE NOTE: Pre-health courses DO NOT count towards students combined major electives.
Core Courses and Syllabi
UGPH-GU 10 Health and Society in a Global Context
UGPH-GU 20 Biostatistics for Public Health
UGPH-GU 30 Epidemiology for Global Health
UGPH-GU 40 Health Policy in a Global World
UGPH-GU 50 Environmental Health in a Global World
UGPH-GU 60 Undergraduate Experiential Learning in Global Public Health (team-based)*
UGPH-GU 60 Undergraduate Experiential Learning in Global Public Health (individual project)*
*students choose one of these
Global Public Health Electives
The following courses may be used to satisfy the elective requirement for the global public health major. Elective requirements vary by combined major, so please consult the majors page when mapping out your degree plan.
Please note that the relevant electives used to fulfill the requirement may be taken either through the GPH major (starting with UGPH-GU) or through the home school department.
Pre-health courses DO NOT count towards students combined major electives.
- UGPH-GU 35 Behavioral Risk-Taking in the Global Context (4)
- UGPH-GU 32 Big Data Ethics and Internet Epistemology (4)
- UGPH-GU 55 Biopsychological Aspects of Children (4)
- UGPH-GU 45 Controversies & Debates (4)
- UGPH-GU 28 Ethics & Disability (4)
- UGPH-GU 85 Ethics and Research (4)
- UGPH-GU 95 The Ethics of Reproduction (4)
- UGPH-GU 75 From Medical Ethics to Bioethics: Historical Perspectives (4)
- UGPH-GU 293 Global Medicine and Disease: The Challenges We Face (4) (Cross-listed with HIST-UA 293)
- UGPH-GU 158 History of Medicine (4) (Cross-listed with HIST-UA 158)
- UGPH-GU 15 Introduction to Bioethics (4)
- UGPH-GU 70 Justice & Health (4)
- UGPH-GU 65 Public Health Approaches to Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) (4) (Pre-requisite: UGPH-GU 30)
- UGPH-GU 80 Public Health Entrepreneurial Ventures (4)
- UGPH-GU 25 Public Health Ethics (4)