Resources, Forms & Policies


Be Responsible, Stay Informed.


At NYU's School of Global Public Health, a commitment to excellence, fairness, honesty, and respect within and outside the classroom is essential to maintaining the integrity of our community.


While you may never need to immerse yourself in many of the policies below, we expect you to familiarize yourself with them. 


Below you will find more information about your program-specific forms and University policies. If you have any questions please contact your Program Advisor in the Student Affairs for guidance.

Academic Policies

Academic Progress

A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required for graduation from all GPH master's programs. Students are expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 throughout their academic career. Students who fall below the required GPA during any semester are placed on academic probation and monitored closely for academic progress. Students who are on academic probation may be restricted in the number of courses taken during a given semester. A student whose GPA falls below the required minimum for 2 consecutive semesters will be required to petition to remain in the program. Please note that failure to satisfy the conditions of academic probation may result in future academic sanctions up to possible dismissal from the University.

Academic Standing and Financial Aid

Students should know that a cumulative GPA below the required minimum and/or courses that are not completed on time can have implications for financial aid eligibility. Students should carefully read the graduate student information regarding NYU’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards.

Auditing Courses

In general, auditing courses* at the School of Global Public Health is not permitted. Exceptions will be considered on very rare occasions, with a written request to your Program Advisor. In all cases, instructor approval and program chair/director approval must be granted. Audited courses incur the same tuition as the course taken for credit. Please note that no credit will be given or letter grade recorded, no withdrawals will be honored or refunds granted on courses so audited. Tuition remission may not be applied. 

*Auditing a course means a student can take classes but cannot be graded or given credit for a particular course. It is usually done for academic exploration and self-enrichment. 

Adding and Dropping Courses

Students may change their course schedules up until the end of the add/drop period at the beginning of each semester. Specific deadlines for each semester may be found on the University's Academic Calendar. Students may not enroll in courses after the add/drop deadline. Students who would like to drop a course after the add/drop deadline may request a withdrawal. A withdrawal will result in a "W" on the transcript. In addition, no refund will be provided unless they are withdrawing from all courses, in which case, a partial refund may be provided as outlined on the University's refund schedule.  

Course Grade Minimums

The minimum grade required for all courses counted towards any graduate degree at GPH, with the exception of the applied practice related courses, is a C- or better.

For the applied practice related courses, students must receive a minimum grade of B.  If a student receives less than a B, the course must be repeated.

These courses include:

  • GPH-GU 2359/5359 Applied Practice Experience Seminar
  • GPH-GU 2360/5360 Integrative Learning Experience Seminar 

(for Community Health Science & Practice, Environmental Public Health Sciences, Global Health, Public Health Nutrition, Public Health Policy & Management, and SDG students)

  • GPH-GU 2686 Thesis I: Practice & Integrative Learning Experiences
  • GPH-GU 2687 Thesis II: Practice & Integrative Learning Experiences 

(for Biostatistics - MPH and MS -, Epidemiology - MPH and MS - and Social & Behavioral Health students)

Course Repeat Policy

Credit will not be granted for courses in which a student receives a D+ or lower*. If the course is a required course for the degree, including concentration courses, it must be repeated. If a student received a D+ or lower in an elective course, the student may choose to take an alternate elective the following semester*. 

When a course is repeated, both the original grade and second grade will be recorded on the student’s transcript, but only the second grade will be included in the calculation of the student’s GPA. If the second grade is lower than the original grade, or if the student does not achieve the minimum grade requirement upon taking the course a second time, under special circumstances, the student may take the course a third time pending permission of both the instructor and advisor.

*please see the information above regarding course grade minimums.

Course Withdrawals and Refunds

GPH follows the University policy for course withdrawals and refunds. If a request to withdraw from a graduate course is submitted past the deadlines, our school will not grant permission to students to withdraw from classes without financial or academic penalty. 

It is the student's responsibility to be aware of the schedules posted on the NYU Bursar's website

Information about refunds and deadlines may be found here and the withdrawal schedule may be found here.

Pass/Fail option

Matriculated students at the School of Global Public Health do not have the option to take courses toward their degree on a pass/fail basis (this does not include courses which are always graded on a pass/fail basis, including GPH-GU 3555, 5170, 5171, 5175, 5180, 5185). However, students may take a course P/F if it does not count towards their degree requirements. They must get permission of the instructor and then inform Lisa Kroin ( to make sure the grading scale of the course is updated to reflect this.

Forms & Procedures 

Students should contact their Program Advisor in Student Affairs for guidance on academic progress, required course selection, and changes in student status.

For information and technical assistance relevant to the registration topics listed below, students should read the relevant information at the weblinks provided.

In this section, you will find the following forms & instructions:

  1. Dropping Courses and Withdrawal Schedule
  2. Enrollment Mismatch Hold
  3. Full-time/Half-time Equivalency
  4. Graduate Course Waiver
  5. Graduate Elective Substitution Petition
  6. Graduate Student Travel Grant
  7. Incomplete Grade Request
  8. Independent Study Request
  9. Leave of Absence/Term Withdrawal/Total Withdrawal
  10. Maintenance of Matriculation
  11. MPH/MS Concentration Transfer
  12. MPH/MS Transfer Credit
  13. Types of Leave of Absence


  • For Registration Guidelines, please visit the Student Services page.
  • Doctoral Students should consult this page for helpful forms including dissertation defense reports, candidacy exam applications, and coursework checklists.

☛ IMPORTANT NOTE | Many forms require to be signed and returned to GPH Registration at

1 - Dropping Courses and Withdrawal Schedule

To drop a course, please follow the instructions on the NYU Registrar's website. Be sure to refer to the withdrawal and refund schedules on this website.

2 - Enrollment Mismatch Hold

The most common type of disbursement hold students encounter is the Enrollment Mismatch Hold. This occurs when the number of credits the Office of Financial Aid expects to see is different from your actual enrollment for the semester. 

☛ Learn how to clear the Enrollment Mismatch hold by visiting the Financial Information section on the GPH Student services page.

3 - Full-time/Half-time Equivalency

The School of Global Public Health defines full-time status as enrollment in a minimum of 12 units in one semester (11 credits per semester if you are in your second year), and half-time status as enrollment in a minimum of 6 units in one semester.

For the purposes of immigration and federal aid eligibility (student loans), NYU considers full-time status as enrollment in a minimum of 9 units in one semester, and half-time status as enrollment in a minimum of 4.5 units in one semester.

Note for International Students: if it is your last semester before you graduate and you have fewer than 12 credits left to finish your degree or program, you only need to complete the NYU OGS form Register Part-Time: Reduced Course Load. You do not need to apply for full-time equivalency.

Students may be certified as having full-time equivalency for an academic term under the program’s equivalency requirements defined here:

  • Full-time equivalency: A student may claim full-time status based on any combination of required program internship or fieldwork, work as a Graduate or Research assistant, and coursework* requiring at least 40 hours per week.

  • Half-time equivalency: A student may claim half-time status based on any combination of required program internship or fieldwork, work as a Graduate or Research assistant, and coursework requiring at least 20 hours per week.

A student is not eligible for equivalency if he/she is not registered for any credit-bearing course work: therefore, students registered for a leave of absence, maintenance of matriculation or zero credit courses will not be approved for equivalency.

The courses which may qualify for equivalency include: 

  • GPH-GU 2359 Applied Practice Experience Seminar (2) 
  • GPH-GU 2360 Integrative Learning Experience Seminar (2) 
  • GPH-GU 2686 Thesis I: Practice and Integrative Learning Experiences (2)
  • GPH-GU 2687 Thesis II: Practice and Integrative Learning Experiences (2)

Students should be aware of the limitations of equivalency status. Equivalencies carry no credit value toward the degree and may affect financial aid. In particular, students should note that equivalencies do not affect program-awarded scholarships, which are always based on actual credit enrollments.

Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid, 25 West 4th Street, 212-998-4444 to determine his/her status.

Application Procedures for FT/HT Equivalencies

  • Students who wish to apply for equivalency must submit the form below (with necessary signatures) to the program office no later than two weeks before the first day of classes in the semester for which equivalency is requested.
  • Students must be registered before equivalency can be approved.
  • Students are fully responsible for investigating the terms, conditions, and deadlines related to any financial aid implications.

 Download form here: Full-time/Half-time Equivalency Form

4 - Graduate Course Waiver

MPH students may waive the requirement to take certain core and concentration courses as indicated below, based on the conditions below. When a course is waived, the credits must be made up with additional electives so the total credits at the end of the student’s program is still 46 credits. MPH and MS Biostatistics students should refer to the Biostatistics Course Substitution Form on the landing page of their program (MPH Biostatistics; MS Biostatistics). 

  • A core course (Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Environmental Health, Health Policy and Management, Social and Behavioral Health, or Essentials of Public Health Biology) may be waived only with a similar core course taken at a CEPH-accredited MPH program/school.

  •  Students who meet one of the following criteria may waive Essentials of Public Health Biology:

    • Student has a clinical health background (e.g., MD, MBBS, RN, BSN, NP, DO, DDS, PA, RD, DVM) may waive the Essentials of Public Health Biology course.

    • Student has taken at least 3 of the following undergraduate or graduate courses and obtained at least a B+: biochemistry, cell biology, embryology, human anatomy, human genetics, human physiology, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, neurobiology, neuroscience, toxicology, virology.

Up to 9 credits of coursework may be waived if the following conditions are met:

  • a grade of a C- or better was obtained;
  • the MPH core course(s) was taken at a CEPH-accredited school or program within the last 5 years;
  • And the syllabus for the waiver course was evaluated and approved by the relevant course instructor and/or chairperson/program director.

NOTE: if 3-4 core courses have already been taken at a CEPH-accredited institution, 2 courses may be transferred in and 1-2 additional courses may be waived. 

All requests for a course waiver must be filed upon matriculation in the student’s first semester of enrollment in the program using the form below, which should be sent along with the relevant course syllabus and a copy of the transcript to Lisa Kroin, Director, Registration and Academic Services (

☛ Download form here:  Graduate Course Waiver Form

5 - Graduate Elective Substitution Petition

Use this form if you wish to take a course that is not expected by your concentration - Be sure to look at the “Notes” section on the semester course schedule which tells you about special restrictions for any particular course.

6 - Graduate Student Travel Grant

The School of Global Public Health encourages matriculated graduate students to submit abstracts for presenting at a professional public health (or related) conference. To help offset the cost of attending such conferences, The Office of Student Affairs offers competitive travel grants to students on a limited basis. Each academic year, a total of 11 awards will be made with each one not exceeding $500. If approved, the travel grant will be awarded to the student and can only be used for conference registration, travel, and lodging.


The following eligibility criteria will be used: 

  • Applicants must be a currently enrolled student in one of the following Graduate programs (MPH, MA, MS, or Certificate). The student must be enrolled as either a part-time or full-time at the time of the presentation. Applications will be considered for students who will present within 60 days of graduating from the program. In this case, notification of acceptance for presentation must be made while the student is matriculated (prior to graduation). 
  • The applicant’s work must be accepted for presentation at a scholarly or professional conference (either oral or poster presentation). Applicants must include the abstract of the paper and correspondence from the conference indicating acceptance as part of the application (as soon as the acceptance notification is available). 
  • Applicants must be presenting original work, which is directly related to the field of public health. 
  • The conference must take place in the academic year for which the applicant is requesting funding. 
  • Applicants must be in good academic standing (GPA at or above 3.0). 
  • The applicant must not be receiving alternative sources of funding that will cover the cost of attendance (students may combine this award with other financial assistance, but not to exceed the total cost of conference participation). 
  • The applicant can receive only one travel grant award while matriculated in the degree program. 
  • In the case of a team of student presenters (such as a poster presentation with more than one student author) – max of $500 per presentation will be awarded. The team of presenters will be responsible for determining whether the travel grant will fund one representative or be divided among multiple presenters. If there are funds remaining at the end of the academic year, a presentation team may be eligible for an additional award up to $500 ($1000 maximum for presentations involving at least 2 student travelers). 

☛ Download form here: Graduate Student Travel Grant (Updated October 2022)

7 - Incomplete Grade Request

Students in the NYU GPH are expected to complete all course requirements on time. Under extraordinary circumstances (such as a medical emergency or family crisis), the temporary grade of I (incomplete), may be recorded for a student who is unable to complete course requirements. To receive an incomplete grade, the student should make a formal request using the Incomplete Grade Request form below. The form serves as a contract between the student and course instructor and must be signed by both parties. The request will include the reason for the incomplete, the work to be completed, and the final date the work is to be completed.
 Download form here:  Incomplete Grade Request Form

8 - Independent Study Request

Under special circumstances, students may pursue an independent study, which is an opportunity for individualized study on a topic of the student’s interest. Independent studies may be done for 1-4 credits, with 40 hours of coursework per credit. No more than 4 credits of independent study may be done during a student’s time in the program.

They are open only to undergraduate seniors, second-year graduate students, and doctoral students.

The following criteria must be met for an independent study:

  • It must be related to the student’s concentration or major;
  • It must be done with a full-time NYU faculty who has expertise in the area and who is willing to serve as their faculty supervisor; it may not be done with an adjunct or anyone outside NYU;
  • An independent study may be done off-campus, as long as it does not prevent the student from attending all sessions of the other courses which they are enrolled in. Students are encouraged to use Spring break, January, and Summer for off-campus independent studies, particularly those which are overseas;
  • It may not replicate a pre-existing course, nor may it involve assisting a faculty member with non-academic work.
  • Please read this form and its instructions carefully and complete all components of it.

 Download form here: Independent Study Request Form

9 - Leave of Absence/Term Withdrawal/Total Withdrawal

  • A leave of absence is an approved temporary break from University studies for one or more terms with the intent to return for a future term. 
  • A term withdrawal means you are withdrawing from all of your classes for a term. A term withdrawal requested after the drop/add deadline of the term will result in W grades on your transcript. 
  • A total withdrawal means you intend to stop your studies at the University before completing your program, and do not intend to return for a future term. A total withdrawal requested after the drop/add deadline of the term will result in W grades on your transcript. 

Important information when requesting a leave and/or withdrawal:

  • you accept financial responsibility for all charges (including collection of fees) associated with your request according to the University refund/liability schedule. View the Refund Policy.
  • Withdrawing can impact your visa eligibility and/or financial aid. It’s important to understand those impacts before you take a leave of absence or withdraw.

➪ International students: contact the Office of Global Services with questions.

➪ Financial Aid recipients: contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions. 

What you need to do before requesting a leave and/or withdrawal:

  • Always speak with your GPH Student Affairs Program Advisor when you are considering a leave of absence or term/total withdrawal, or if you are uncertain about any of the information on this web-page.
  • Once you have done it, submit your request for an approved leave of absence, total withdrawal, or term withdrawal in your Albert Student Center by clicking the “Request Leave of Absence” or “Request Term/Total Withdrawal” link (on the Homepage of your Student Center, under your Enrolled Courses). An email confirmation will be sent to your NYU email address after you submit your request.

Do not submit a request for leave of absence or term/total withdrawal if:

  • You want to drop individual classes but will remain registered in other classes. ➪ Instead, submit a class withdrawal request.
  • You intend to complete the remaining graduation or research requirements that do not require registration for additional credit-bearing classes. 

➪ Instead, contact your Program Advisor to discuss options for registering for Maintenance of Matriculation”.

☛ Instructions are outlined on the Registrar's website: Leave of Absence/Term Withdrawal/Total Withdrawal

10 - Maintenance of Matriculation

A degree can only be awarded to a student who has been continuously matriculated for each Fall and Spring term since entering the program (Bioethics students: maintenance of matriculation is required in the final Summer semester if not enrolled in courses, but working on the Thesis).

In order to be matriculated, students must either register for at least one credit-bearing course, or pay the maintenance of matriculation fee (which is $528 as of Fall 2021). 

Students who maintain matriculation are still required to complete all degree requirements within 6 years

Students on Maintenance of Matriculation will retain access to their NYU email account, NYU facilities, etc.

 Download form here: Maintenance of Matriculation Form

11 - MPH/MS Concentration Transfer

This procedure is required for students who wish to change to a new concentration (MS or MPH).  If this is your first semester in the program, please note that you may be accepted into the new concentration on the condition that the GPA and course requirements are met, as outlined on the form below. 

Students should read through the form carefully and submit it no later than one week prior to the first day of Spring registration, which usually occurs in mid-November (students who matriculated in the Spring must submit the form at least one week prior to the start of Fall registration, which usually occurs in mid-to-late April). Keep in mind that the review process may take a couple of weeks, so plan your request accordingly. 

NOTE: International students may not transfer to an online MPH program if they are staying in the U.S.

Note for International students: a change of program concentration does not require a new I-20.

 Access form here: MPH/MS Concentration Transfer Form        

12 - MPH/MS Transfer Credit

Upon matriculation, students enrolled in the MPH/MS program will be allowed to transfer in a maximum of 9 credits of approved graduate courses from an accredited school or program. Of these 9 credits, only 6 credits may count towards core courses in the Public Health program (including Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Health Care Policy/Public Health Management & Leadership, Environmental Health, and Global Issues in Social and Behavioral Health). Approval of transfer credits will be granted pending a grade of a C- or better.

Individuals who complete coursework at NYU as non-matriculated students will be allowed to transfer up to 9 credits into the graduate program and may be either core or elective courses. Transfer credit may not be applied towards Applied Practice Experience Seminar or Thesis.

For those who have taken the core courses that comprise the Advanced Certificate in Public Health through GPH, up to 15 of these credits may be applied toward the MPH degree. Approval of transfer credits from the Advanced Certificate will be approved pending a grade of a C- or better and completion of within the past 5 years.  

 Download form here: MPH/MS Transfer Credit Form

13 - Types of Leave of Absence

  • Personal Leave of Absence
  • Medical Leave of Absence 
  • Counseling Leave of Absence

What is a Personal Leave of Absence?

A personal leave of absence is a request for reasons unrelated to medical or counseling conditions. Personal leaves are voluntary and apply to issues related to personal circumstances. 

To officially request a personal leave of absence, the student must submit a Personal Leave of Absence Request online via Albert (see above for the instructions). No additional documentation is needed.

What is a Medical Leave of Absence (MLOA)

NYU recognizes that it is sometimes necessary or desirable for a student to take a leave from enrollment for a period of time due to unforeseen medical occurrences/issues. 

The duration of the leave will be:

  • Minimum of one academic semester, or an equivalent four-month period
  • Maximum of two academic semesters or the equivalent in months (8 months). 

To officially request medical leave, the student must:

  • Always speak with your Program Advisor when you are considering a leave of absence, or if you are uncertain about any of the information on this web-page.
  • Complete Medical Leave of Absence Request Form along with appropriate/supporting documentation. In the form, you will find the instructions for students who wish to take a medical leave of absence.
  • Submit a request for leave of absence through Albert as outlined before.
  • Once you are back from your medical leave, complete the NYU SHC Return from Medical Leave Form. This is a certification of readiness to return to school.

What is a Counseling Leave of Absence?

If you have a mental health diagnosis and need to take a leave of absence due to a mental health concern, please contact Counseling & Wellness Services by calling 212-443-9999.

If a student needs to request a counseling leave of absence, they must schedule an appointment with a counselor at the Student Health Center by calling 212-998-4780.

Students returning from leave due to a psychological concern must contact the Wellness Exchange at 212-443-9999.

Statement of Academic Integrity

The NYU School of Global Public Health values both open inquiry and academic integrity.

Students in the program are expected to follow standards of excellence set forth by New York University and stated in the NYU Academic Integrity Policy Statement.

Such standards include respect, honesty and responsibility

GPH does not tolerate violations to academic integrity including:

  • Plagiarism
  • Cheating on an exam
  • Submitting your own work toward requirements in more than one course without prior approval from the instructor
  • Collaborating with other students for work expected to be completed individually
  • Giving your work to another student to submit as his/her own
  • Purchasing or using papers or work online or from a commercial firm and presenting it as your own work

Students are expected to familiarize themselves with the GPH Statement of Academic Integrity and NYU University’s policy on academic integrity as they will be expected to adhere to such policies at all times – as a student and an alumni of New York University.


Plagiarism, whether intended or not,  is not tolerated at GPH. 

Plagiarism involves  presenting ideas and/or words without acknowledging the source and includes any of the following acts:

  • Using a phrase, sentence, or passage from another writer's work without using quotation marks
  • Paraphrasing a passage from another writer's work without attribution
  • Presenting facts, ideas, or written text gathered or downloaded from the Internet as your own
  • Submitting another student's work with your name on it
  • Submitting your own work toward requirements in more than one course without prior approval from the instructor
  • Purchasing a paper or "research" from a term paper mill.  

Students at GPH and enrolled in GPH courses are responsible for understanding what constitutes plagiarism. Students  are encouraged to discuss specific questions with faculty instructors and to utilize the many resources available at New York University. 

Prior to join NYU GPH, each graduate student enrolled in any graduate program at GPH is required to complete the online Plagiarism Certification Test to learn how to recognize plagiarism, test your understanding, and earn a certificate. 

Disciplinary Sanctions

When an instructor suspects cheating, plagiarism, and/or other forms of academic dishonesty, appropriate disciplinary action is as follows:

➪ The Instructor will meet with the student to discuss, and present evidence for the particular violation, giving the student opportunity to refute or deny the charge(s).

➪ If the Instructor confirms that violation(s), he/she, in consultation with the Department Chair or Program Director may take any of the following actions:

  • Allow the student to redo the assignment
  • Lower the grade for the work in question
  • Assign a grade of F for the work in question
  • Assign a grade of F for the course
  • Recommend dismissal

Once an action(s) is taken, the Instructor will inform the Department Chair or Program Director and inform the student in writing, instructing the student to schedule an appointment with the Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, as a final step. 

The student has the right to appeal the action taken in accordance with the GPH Student Complaint Procedure.

Graduate Student Guidelines for Academic Issues Encountered in a Course

The School of Global Public Health is committed to resolving academic issues encountered in a course in a manner that is fair and supportive of students who may be experiencing personal difficulties affecting their academic work.

The following outlines procedures for dealing with common academic issues sometimes experienced in a course. If a student has an academic issue, the first point of contact should be the instructor. If the student and instructor can’t resolve the issue, the student should contact their Program Director for further adjudication.

Students who are experiencing personal difficulties are encouraged to contact the Sr. Associate Dean for Student Affairs for help in dealing with non-academic issues.

1. Request for justification of a grade received. Instructors are expected to provide clear and detailed grading criteria either in the syllabus or in a separate document explaining an assignment. Students are entitled to ask instructors to explain further how a grade was determined. Instructors are expected to respond to these requests as quickly as possible.

2. Challenging a grade. Students who believe that the assigned grade is not justified after receiving the instructor’s explanation of how the work was assessed and the grade was calculated should contact their Program Director who will review the case and communicate with the instructor regarding the details of the case and recommendations for resolution. The student will be contacted regarding the outcome of this review. The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will be consulted by the Program Director as needed.

3. Persistent absences. Students are expected to attend all class sessions. The syllabus should clearly state the instructor’s policy regarding missing class sessions and the penalties for missing class. If a student has frequent absences, the instructor is advised to contact the Manager of Registration and Academic Services who will email the student and contact the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. The Associate Dean for Student Affairs will communicate with the instructor, Program Director, and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and all these parties will decide how to proceed regarding any academic penalties.

4. Late submission of assignments. Students are expected to submit all assignments on time. The syllabus should clearly state the instructor’s policy regarding penalties for late submission of assignments. Barring emergencies, students must request permission in advance if they are unable to meet an assignment deadline, and the student and instructor should establish an agreed upon due date. If a student persistently submits assignments late, the instructor is advised to consult with the Program Director who may also consult with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Associate Dean for Student Affairs regarding how to proceed with the student.

5. Missing the midterm or final. Students must obtain the instructor’s permission at least a week in advance if they expect to miss the midterm or final unless the absence is due to an emergency. Make-up exams are the prerogative of the instructor. The instructor is expected to communicate with the student via email regarding his/her decision on whether a make-up exam will be provided.

6. Incomplete grades. Students are expected to complete all course requirements on time. Under extraordinary circumstances (such as a medical emergency), the temporary grade of I (incomplete), may be recorded for a student who is unable to complete course requirements. To receive an incomplete grade, the student must make a formal request using the Incomplete Grade Request form. The request must include the reason for the incomplete, the work to be completed, and the final date the work is to be completed. The form must be signed by both the student and the course instructor. The request must be approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. All incompletes must be changed to a final grade no later than 150 days after the semester in which the incomplete is given or the grade will automatically become an F. Students are strongly advised to complete the work well before the 150 day time limit as instructors may not be available to grade the work close to the deadline.

Student Conduct Policies - Non-Academic

If students have any questions regarding the following policies and procedures they are strongly encouraged to meet with the GPH Sr. Associate Dean of Student Affairs.

Student Conduct - Non-Academic

Effective August 13, 2018, allegations of non-academic misconduct, as outlined in the University Student Conduct Policy, against a student of the School of Global Public Health, shall be addressed pursuant to the procedures set forth in the NYU Student Conduct Procedures and administered by the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards under the authority of the Senior Vice President of Student Affairs.  Allegations of academic misconduct (plagiarism, cheating) against a student of the School of Global Public Health shall continue to be addressed by the school in accordance with established procedures listed above.

Student Conduct Procedures

Matters involving allegations of non-academic misconduct are managed under the NYU Student Conduct Procedures.

Student Conduct Forum for Resolution

As described here, the Office of Student Conduct recognizes that, during the college years, some students will have missteps and hit rough patches. We truly believe these experiences can be opportunities for a student to reflect on their education, correct course, and focus toward success.  At the same time, students must also be held accountable when their conduct violates the standards of community membership.

While many situations can be addressed through conversational and colloquial measures, other matters may necessitate more formal procedures depending on the severity of the alleged conduct and potential sanctions. Upon receipt of a report, the Office of Student Conduct shall review the matter and determine an appropriate forum for resolution. All forums, as outlined below, are administered to ensure that any student accused of violating University policy (the “respondent”) is afforded a fair and impartial process.  

Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment

New York University is committed to maintaining an environment that encourages and fosters appropriate conduct among all persons and respect for individual values. Accordingly, the University is committed to enforcing this Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy and Complaint Procedures at all levels in order to create an environment free from discrimination, harassment, retaliation and/or sexual assault. Discrimination or harassment based on race, gender and/or gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran or military status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, or on any other legally prohibited basis is unlawful and undermines the character and purpose of the University. Such discrimination or harassment violates University policy and will not be tolerated.  

The Office of Equal Opportunity is the University's neutral unit charged with investigating allegations of discrimination and harassment in the working and learning environments in accordance with the University's Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy and Complaint Procedures for Employees.

Bias Response Line       

The New York University Bias Response Line provides a mechanism through which members of our community can share or report experiences and concerns of bias, discrimination, or harassing behavior that may occur within our community.

Experienced administrators in the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) receive and assess reports, and then help facilitate responses, which may include referral to another University school or unit, or investigation if warranted according to the University's existing Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy.

The Bias Response Line is designed to enable the University to provide an open forum that helps to ensure that our community is equitable and inclusive.

Title IX

New York University is committed to complying with Title IX and enforcing University policies prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex. Mary Signor, Assistant Vice President, Office of Equal Opportunity, serves as New York University’s Title IX Coordinator. The University’s Title IX Coordinator is a resource for any questions or concerns about sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, or sexual misconduct and is available to discuss your rights and judicial options.

University policies define prohibited conduct, provide informal and formal procedures for filing a complaint and a prompt and equitable resolution of complaints.

Master's Student Handbook

The Master's Student Handbook (Revised Fall, 2018) provides access to information about services and resources for students as well as policies and procedures. It is expected that all students read and know the contents of this handbook. 

From time to time policies do change mid-year. When necessary those changes are incorporated as soon as possible into the current document.