The undergraduate global public health majors offered by GPH embody an innovative approach to undergraduate education. We've compiled a list of frequently asked questions that we hope will be helpful as you explore options for your undergraduate studies. If your question isn't answered below, please contact us directly so we can assist you.

How do I apply to one of the Global Public Health majors?

The School of Global Public Health offers 13 innovative undergraduate majors in Global Public Health in collaboration with the following NYU schools:

  • The College of Arts and Science (CAS)

  • The Rory Meyers College of Nursing (Nursing)

  • Silver School of Social Work (Social Work)

  • Steinhardt School of Culture Education and Human Development (Steinhardt)

  • Global Liberal Studies

To learn more about how to apply for/declare a GPH major, students should contact the Admissions Office (for Nursing, Social Work, and Steinhardt majors) or the Advising Office (for CAS majors) of their respective school.

As an undergraduate student how am I assigned an major and how do I know who my advisor is?

All declared GPH majors are assigned a GPH advisor and a home school departmental advisor. Typically this is completed once you declare your major. 

The GPH advisors by major are as follows:

Joyce Moon-Howard (jmh29@nyu.edu)

  • Anthropology

  • Food Studies

  • Global Liberal Studies

  • Nutrition

Brian McNiff (bm3155@nyu.edu)

  • Applied Psychology

  • Biology

  • Chemistry

  • History

  • Sociology

Brittany Edghill (brittany.edghill@nyu.edu)

  • Communicative Sciences and Disorders (CSD)

  • Media, Culture, and Communication (MCC)

  • Nursing

  • Social Work

Alicia Ocasio (ao58@nyu.edu)

  • GPH/Minor

It is recommended that students meet with their advisors at least once per semester to make sure that they are on-track toward completing their GPH degree requirements. However, your home school departmental advisor manages all clearances for registration. 

What are the curriculum requirements for the Global Public Health majors?

Depending on your particular major, your curriculum requirements will vary. To learn more about the specific curriculum requirements for your major visit the Majors page.

To learn more about the courses in the Global Public Health majors – including the core courses that all students take regardless of school – visit the Undergraduate Courses page.

Can I use my pre-health courses to fulfill my combined major elective requirements?

No, pre-health courses DO NOT fulfill the combined major elective requirement. 

What can I do with a BA/BS in Global Public Health?

Majoring in Global Public Health will prepare you for entry into not-for-profits, government organizations, social service agencies, international health services and programs, and more.

Here are some examples of what graduates who majored in public health are doing:

  • Consulting Analyst at a Fortune 500 Consulting Firm

  • Research Trainee at a College of Medicine

  • HMO Authorization Specialist at a Home Health Aide Agency

  • Peer Mentor at a Community Health Center

  • Business Development Associate for Health Care Gap Assessment and Enrollment Service

  • Litigation Paralegal for a Law Firm

  • Editorial Intern for a Nutrition Multimedia Brand

  • Americorps Member for a Department of Health Agency

  • Registered Nurse for a Hospital

  • Public Affairs Coordinator for nonprofit reproductive health care provider organization

  • Intelligence Office for a Government Agency

  • Buyer for a Supermarket Chain Specializing in Organic Food

Did you know that GPH students are able to meet with a Wasserman Career Coach onsite at 708 Broadway, 3rd Floor in addition to the Union Square location?

GPH Undergraduates should make an appointment online with NYU’s Wasserman Center for Career Development to explore career paths of interests and prepare for their next position in the Public Health field.  

I’m interested in pursuing additional education after the BA/BS in Global Public Health. What are my options?

The NYU Global Public Health majors provide excellent preparation for further public health study at the masters, doctoral and professional school levels, including GPH’s own graduate programs.

To learn more, email gph.admissions@nyu.edu

What if I am unable to complete the study abroad requirement?

All students in the NYU School of Global Public Health Undergraduate Program are recommended to study abroad for one semester. Under special circumstances, a student may request to waive this requirement. To apply for a waiver, a student must complete the Study Abroad Waiver Form.  

I am a CAS student and I cannot complete the advanced foreign language requirement, what should I do?

The advanced foreign language requirement  is a CAS requirement. It is not a GPH requirement. Please visit the CAS Academic Standards website to find the petition/waiver to exempt out of it. Any additional concerns, please refer back to Academic Standards. 

Please note: This language requirement does not apply to students who matriculate in and after fall 2021; they instead must take an additional 4-point course (third major elective) in their CAS department or in GPH.

I would like to petition to have a non-GPH course count towards my GPH co-major or GPH minor requirements, what can I do?

Under special circumstances, a student may request to petition a GPH requirement. Each request is carefully reviewed (along with the required supporting documentation) by the GPH Director of Undergraduate Studies and the student is notified of the decision. To submit a petition request, fill out the Petition Form

For More Information

Regarding specific courses and registration: gph.registration@nyu.edu

General inquiries: gph.undergrad@nyu.edu