Admissions FAQs

Below you will find answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the NYU MPH admission process.  If you have additional questions or can't find the answer to your question here, please feel free to contact us directly so we can assist you.

Is there an application fee?

When applying to GPH’s MPH program, SOPHAS charges a fee structure based on how many programs you apply to; please consult SOPHAS’s FAQs page for more information. New York University does not charge or collect any supplementary application fee.

What is the deadline for application?

The deadline for application to the MPH is February 1st.  Applications submitted by this deadline will have a greater chance at obtaining scholarship funding, since funds are awarded throughout the admission cycle on a rolling basis.

How many applicants do you accept per year?

In 2016, we enrolled 200 new MPH students from an application pool of just over 1000 applicants.

What prerequisites do I need to apply?

There are no specific course prerequisites for the NYU MPH.

Do I need a background or experience in health to apply?

No. Although there are applicants with varying amounts of experience in health-related fields, we seek a diverse and interdisciplinary student body. We encourage prospective students from a wide variety of academic and professional backgrounds who are interested in public health to apply.

Can I transfer credits from previous courses I've completed?

Transfer credits will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and are not considered until students are enrolled in the program. Credits cannot be transferred if they were already counted toward another degree. To be considered:

  • transfer credits must be from an accredited institution
  • there must be evidence that the credits are at the graduate level
  • you must have earned a grade of B or better in the course
  • you must provide an official transcript of the course and final grade along with the course syllabus

If I have taken similar courses in the past, can I waive out of any program requirements?

Decisions regarding waiving courses are made by program faculty on an individual student basis. Waiving-out does not reduce the number of credits required for graduation; another course must be substitute for any course that is waived.

How long does it take to complete the degree?

Full-time students can complete the traditional on-campus degree program in a minimum of 2 years. Part-time students will typically complete the program in 3 to 4 years, depending on the number of courses taken each semester.

Do you offer any online or distance learning options?

While it is not possible to complete the entire MPH online at this time, we do offer all five of the MPH core courses in an online format.  MPH students are free to take any or all of these 5 courses (15 credits) online if they wish, or they can choose to take the on-campus versions.

Can I schedule a campus visit?

The Office of Admissions welcomes visits from prospective MPH students who wish to see NYU’s campus and discuss the admission process or application to the program – see how to schedule your visit in advance on our Visit Campus page

Additionally, you can arrange to sit in on a class and/or correspond with current students.  Please contact us directly to arrange for any of these opportunities. 

How much does the MPH cost?

Per semester costs will vary depending on the amount of credits a student is enrolled in.  For more information, please visit the tuition and financial aid section of our website.

Is financial aid available?

A comprehensive financial aid program is available to assist domestic students with meeting the cost of the program, including scholarships and federal or private loans.

Are research or graduate assistantships available to help offset the cost of the program?

No. The NYU MPH program has no formal research or graduate assistantships to offer to students.

Can I work while enrolled in the program?

Most courses in the NYU MPH are held no earlier than 4:55pm, allowing many students to work at least part-time while enrolled in the program. On-campus employment opportunities are available to NYU MPH students; the NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development Student Employment Office services all students matriculating in a degree program that are interested in working on-campus while they study. 

Please note that international students may be subject to certain restrictions or limitations depending on what type of visa they hold while studying.

Will NYU issue me a student visa to study in the NYU MPH?

If admitted to the program, the NYU Office of International Students and Scholars will work with you on obtaining the necessary and appropriate visa to undertake the NYU MPH program.  Please note that international students entering the United States on an F-1 student visa are only eligible to pursue full-time study.

Is financial aid available to international students?

The NYU MPH does make some financial aid opportunities available to international students.  However, international students should keep in mind that NYU has limited resources for financial aid for international students and that international students are not eligible for the same loan and grant programs that domestic students are.  It is important that international students plan ahead of time and account for how they will fund the cost of their studies before joining the NYU MPH.

As an international student, can I work while enrolled in the program?

Full-time degree students who enter the United States on a student (F-1) visa have the opportunity to work part-time during the academic year.  Part-time employment is limited to the NYU campus and must not exceed twenty hours per week. Prior to the commencement of any employment, F-1 students must obtain permission to work from the NYU Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS). 

International students who study under other types of visa may have different regulations governing their ability to work in the United States.  Please contact NYU OISS for more details.

If my transcripts are not in English, do I need to have them translated?

Yes.  Any transcripts not in English must be translated by a professional, certified translator.  The translation must be sent in a sealed envelope to our program office as well as official, sealed copies of the original transcripts as issued by the institution.

Do I need to have my foreign credentials or transcripts evaluated by a credential evaluation service?

While not required, the NYU MPH strongly encourages the use of an academic credentialing agency (such as World Education Services) before submitting your documents. The NYU MPH reserves the right to request such documentation from any applicant if a degree or its U.S. equivalent is in question. If you have questions regarding foreign transcripts, please contact us and we will be happy to help you.

What do I do if my institution will not issue official transcripts?

If your institution does not issue transcripts, you must submit a letter in a sealed envelope from the institution stating its policy. Only then will we consider accepting a copy of a transcript, certified by an appropriate embassy or consulate in the institution’s country. 

If I studied in English, do I have to take the TOEFL?

Yes. The program requires a valid TOEFL score from all applicants whose native language is not English and who did not receive the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree at an institution where English is the primary language of instruction. Applicants holding or completing only a graduate or professional degree from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction are still required to submit a TOEFL score unless the graduate program was four or more years in duration. This requirement is not waived in any circumstances, including applicants who have studied in English or who have work experience in English language countries or with English-speaking organizations.

When ordering TOEFL score reports from ETS, you must include the proper institution code for the NYU MPH (5688).